1. I hate charter schools and private schools and any other alternative to neighborhood schools BUT I see there place at the moment and wish we didn’t need them.
2. I hate how the principals I’ve been raised with are sometimes in conflict by what I believe to be right based on my experiences as an adult.
3. I wish we could loosen up on what we define as “acceptable social behavior” I feel like everything done in poor communities is considered to be wrong and not good enough. I hate that.
4. I hate how people think it’s ok to make fun of homeless people and drug addicts. In fact, I hate how individuals constantly go through life sorting people into categories of acceptable and unacceptable; human and nonhuman.
5. Prostitution is a completely legitimate and honorable profession.
6. Please don’t tell me how to be a woman. I’m a woman, I’m doing it so clearly I know how “to be a woman.”
7. We have certain skills that we are taught to value in our society. We need to learn how to value other skills and talents and stop ostracizing people who don’t have the skills we think are ideal.
8. Art is cool.
9. The fact that so many black youth want to be professional ball players, models, and rappers show a point of weakness in us. We need to start teaching our kids that their so many other ways for them to find success. We have more options than they teach us we do.
10. People should encourage each other to be their best.
11. I like to treat strangers like friends. I think we should all try it.
12. I used to hate “hood nicknames.” Now I love them, It’s a way to show a community bond.
13. People who don’t listen are soul-less.
14. I recently found a lot of faith and I pray a lot and as long as I work hard, I think it helps.
15. This list is no what I thought it would be but that’s okay.